- City Departments
- Human Resources
- Veteran's Preference
Veteran's Preference Guidelines & Application
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY UNDER REMEDIATION TO ENSURE ACCESSIBILITY TO OUR DISABLED RESIDENTS AND VISITORS. ONCE WE HAVE REVIEWED EXTERNAL DOCUMENTS AND COMPLETED THE REMEDIATION, THEY WILL BE RETURNED TO THE WEBSITE.
TO REQUEST A COPY OF THE APPLICATION FOR VETERANS PREFERENCE PLEASE CONTACT THE CITY OF OVIEDO'S HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT 407-971-5520 OR CAREERS@CITYOFOVIEDO.NET
SUMMARY OF CHANGES EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2007
- Preference eligibility no longer expires upon appointment of the eligible person to a position with the state or any political subdivision in the state.
- Persons who were previously ineligible for preference because they held or are currently holding a job with a public employer are now eligible to use their Veterans' Preference again with all employees covered by law.
- Persons were previously ineligible for preference because they did not serve during an eligible wartime period may now be eligible for Veterans' Preference if they served during Operation Enduring Freedom (beginning October 7, 2007-present) or Operation Iraqi Freedom (beginning March 19, 2009-present).
CHANGES TO THE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
- The employment application should be edited to reflect the changes. The above three notes should be inserted.
- Any reference to Veterans' Preference being a single entitlement event must be REMOVED.
- Any question regarding previous/current employment with the State of Florida or any political subdivision of the state, or any reference to previous employment with those entities should be removed, as it is no longer relevant to eligibility.
- Recent wartime service periods are not reflected in s. 1.01, F.S Therefore, a note to applicants should appear under the 1-5 Veterans' Preference Categories informing them of the recent additions to eligible wartime periods. Eligible wartime periods now include Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, with the dates reflected above. The receipt of a campaign or expeditionary medal is not required only service during those wartime periods.
CHANGES TO RECRUITMENT & SELECTION PROCEDURES
- Current or previous employment with the state (or any other covered entity) should no longer be considered when determining preference eligibility.
- When reviewing DD Forms 214 to determine service during a wartime period, service during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom are now considered preference eligible wartime periods. The receipt of a campaign or expeditionary medal is not required, only service during those wartime periods. See above for dates.
- For all currently advertised positions with a closing date of July 1, 2007 or later Human resources or an equivalent will need to contact all applicants and inform them of the new laws and ask any now eligible veterans to submit the appropriate documentation if they want to request Veterans' Preference.
DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS' AFFAIRS PROGRAM GUIDELINES FOR HB & SB 0156
Effective July 1, 2007, several changes were made to laws relating to Veteran's Preference in employment. All state agencies and any political subdivisions in the state are required to give employment preference to eligible persons for all eligible positions (as defined by statute) to implement the new language. Employment by the state includes the State University System, the State Community College System, the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind as well as the state's political subdivisions which are defined as counties, cities, towns, villages, special tax school districts, special road and bridge districts, and all other districts in the state.