American Red Cross Courses
Want to make a difference in your community? Love the water? Enjoy working with children and teaching? The Oviedo Aquatic Facility offers American Red Cross Courses to become a Lifeguard!
Completion of course does not guarantee employment with the City of Oviedo.
General Course Information
- Swimming requirements must be completed and passed in order to participate in the course.
- Completion of the course does not guarantee employment with the City of Oviedo.
- To receive certification, the participant must pass all course requirements, written and final skill tests.
- With successful completion of any American Red Cross Course offered by Oviedo Aquatics, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification valid for two years from the issue date.
Lifeguard Course Requirements
- Minimum age of 15 by course completion.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Swim 20 yards using freestyle or breaststroke, surface dive 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound brick, swim 20 yards back with two hands on the brick keeping your face above water, and climb onto the pool deck within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Lifeguarding Course will be conducted following CDC Guidelines and America Red Cross "Training Lifeguards during COVID-19" protocols.
- This course will require brief physical contact of no more than a total of 15 minutes within an hour.
Water Safety Instructor COURSE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum age of 16 by course completion.
- Swim 25 yards with proper technique of the Front Crawl, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Butterfly, Sidestroke, and Elementary Backstroke.
- Swimming requirements will be completed on the first scheduled day of the course.
- Blended learning combines online learning with on-site skills sessions where you practice skills and demonstrate competency.
Don't miss out on our next course! Click here for more information.
- Resident Members - $310
- Resident Non-Members - $350
- Non-Resident Members - $330
- Non-Resident Non-Members - $380