Oviedo in the News
January 11, 2019
Oviedo High School Boys Bowling Team Recognition
At the January 7th City Council meeting, the Oviedo City Council recognized the Oviedo High School Boys Bowling Team for winning the 2018 State Championship.
The 2018 Oviedo High School Boys Bowling Team made its second consecutive appearance in the FHSAA Bowling State Tournament held at Boardwalk Bowl, Orlando, Florida on November 7th and 8th. Following a great undefeated performance in Conference and District Competition, the Boys won their first ever State Championship. Three (3) team members made the all-conference team. The team also won the Kegel High School Challenge on September 25, 2018.
Holiday Garbage, Recycling, and Yard Waste Schedule
Dr. Martin Luther King Day
Republic Services will be picking up garbage, recycling, and yard waste on Dr. Martin Luther King Day (Monday, January 21st) for Oviedo residents whose regularly scheduled service day is Monday.
There will be no service interruption due to the Dr. Martin Luther King holiday.
HOLIDAY OFFICE CLOSURE
Dr. Martin Luther King Day
City business offices will be closed on Monday, January 21st, in observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King Day holiday. City business offices will re-open on Tuesday, January 22nd, at 8am.
Did You Know?
Did you know you can receive e-mail or text notifications concerning:
- Boil Water Advisories
- Emergency Alerts
- Important Updates
- Roadway Bulletins
- City News
- Community Events
Sign in to subscribe, unsubscribe, or manage your subscriptions.
Bear sightings are common in Seminole County, and all Oviedo residents should be prepared!
AVOID ATTRACTING BEARS!
- Garbage, pet foods, barbecue grills, and anything that smells like food attacts bears.
- Don't leave your garbage can outside. Store trash and recyclables in bear-resistant containers or in a secure area until morning of pickup.
- Feed pets inside or bring in bowls after your pets are finished eating.
- Remove bird and wildlife feeders. Store pet or livestock feed indoors or in bear-resistant containers.
- Protect your garden, compost pile, or livestock with electric fencing.
- Clean meat smokers and grills with bleach or a degreasing agent.
- If bears are rewarded with food (garbage, pet food, etc.) at your house, they will come back.
IF YOU SEE A BEAR
- Remain calm, DO NOT run or play dead. Back away slowly and speak in a calm, assertive voice.
- Make sure that you are in a safe area and that the bear has an escape route, then make some noise to scare the bear away.
- Secure the attractants that are bringing the bear to your neighborhood.
Report a Bear Sighting to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
GYM & ATHLETICS
- Indoor Cycling (ages 16 and up) - Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-7 p.m.). Daily rates apply. The first trial class is free! Packages of 20 visits or an unlimited annual option are available for purchase. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Pickle Ball (all ages) - returns to the Gymnasium and Aquatic Facility on Wednesday, Janaury 16th. This paddle sport combines the features of tennis and table tennis and is played indoors at the Gymansium and Aquatic Facility on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9am to 11am. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Adult Basketball (ages 18 and up) - Registration is underway through February 8th or until full. Games begin February 17th. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- SNAP Club - Wednesday, January 16th at Riverside Park from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. This program is designed specifically for those with special needs, teenage and up. Participants must be accompanied by a companion. Activities include games, craft time, potlucks, bingo, and more! Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Homeschool Activity Program - Thursday, January 17th at Riverside Park. This program is a structured exercise program with a monthly theme for children ages 6 to 13 who are home schooled. Pre-registration and pre-payment required. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Family Bingo - Friday, January 18th at Riverside Park. Games start at 6:30 p.m. Cards are $4 each with a 5 card maximum. Space is limited and all players are admitted on a first come, first served basis. Concession stand will be open for snacks and beverages. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Teen Dodgeball Tournament - Friday, January 25th at Riverside Park. Middle school and high school children may enjoy a safe, age-appropriate game of dodgeball in a tournament style. Tickets can be purchased before the event or on the day of the event. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- American Red Cross Babysitter Course – Saturday, January 26th at Riverside Park. Youth ages 11 to 15 will learn the knowledge and skills necessary to safely give care to children and infants. This is a one-day class and space is limited to 10 participants. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Lunch N Learn / Senior Tech Class - Thursday, January 31st at Riverside Park. Seniors (ages 50+) can learn more information about various technology devices from Palm Tree Tech Center. Lunch will be provided. Pre-registration and payment are due one week prior to class date. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Class - Registration is open for the next American Red Cross Lifeguard course. Participants need to be at least 15 years of age and be able to pass a swim test. Class dates: January 12th, 13th, 19th, and 20th, from 9am to 5pm. Participants need to be present each day. Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
- Training Cudas (ages 6-13) - Registration is underway. Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from either 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. or 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Swimmers must be a past Barracuda swimmer, have passed a swim test, or have passed Level 5 swim lessons. Call 407-971-5584 for more information.
- Water Aerobics (all ages) - Make a splash with Water Aerobics! Deep Aqua Fit is a non-impact, deep water aerobics class that works a variety of muscle groups, as well as the cardiovascular system. The class is held in the deep end of the pool and utilizes buoyancy belts and hand buoys. All equipment is available to use free of charge during the class. Call 407-971-5584 for more information.
Oviedo Night at the university of central florida
It's Oviedo Night at the University of Central Florida on Sunday, January 13th. UCF is offering Oviedo UCF Men's Basketball game tickets as the Knights take on East Carolina University.
Access UCF's Facebook event and click the ticketing link to purchase discounted tickets. Be sure to use the promo code Oviedo19.
Let’s show the Knights they are Oviedo’s Hometown Team!
R.A.D. Self-Defense for Women
Movie in the Park
Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. Celebration
Bonkerz Comedy Night
Teen Dodgeball Tournament
Cops N Cars for Kids
Oviedo Farmers Market
The next Farmers Market takes place Saturday, February 2nd, at the Lawton House grounds at 200 W. Broadway Street, Oviedo. Bring the family and browse a delightful selection of local produce, plants, jams, coffee, baked goods, and more!
BIG KAHUNA POOL (THROUGH MARCH 30, 2019)
- 6am to 9am - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- 2pm to 8pm - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- 7am to 1pm - Saturday
- 1pm to 6pm - Sunday
Follow Us on Social Media
Be the first to know what is happening in Oviedo. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor.
City of Oviedo
FUTURE COUNCIL MEETING DATES
- Wednesday, January 23, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (Regular City Council Meeting)
- Monday, January 28, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. (Work Session)
- Monday, February 4, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. (CRA Governing Board Meeting)
- Monday, February 4, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (Regular City Council Meeting)
- Monday, February 18, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (Regular City Council Meeting)